- Providing comfort and care for people while they are at their most vulnerable.
- Meeting and interacting with a wide variety of people, in a wide variety of situations. (Sad, happy, funny...)
- Tons of gross stuff to "oooh and ahhh" over. (Like my patient the other day...his remaining foot had three black toes and a lot of dead foot...)
- Fast paced, CRAZY-ASS environment (I'll look at the clock and say, "Shit! How is it 2:30 already???")
- Making my husband wash his hands after hugging me when I get home (because my patient was positive for C diff... you don't want to know...)
- Patients who argue with me about how medications work...
- Physicians who don't write complete orders (sorry, "Heparin dosing with bolus" is not a complete order)
- Hospital administration who decide that we can go with 8 patients per nurse on night shift...WITH a float nurse
- Getting to work at 6:30 am ...and leaving at 8:25 PM.
Yesh. I had a long day. And yesh, nursing is really hard in many ways. But I think I like it.