Sunday, March 6, 2011

Soapbox.

Here is a hot minute of me soapboxing about the dangers of the sun, not getting your mammograms or self boobie and testicle exams, ignoring chest pain, and generally not enjoying the time you have left.

Yes. It seems that being a nurse has made me into a downer. BUT, a downer who appreciates her life a lot more and realizes that she is super lucky to have a fabulous husband, and wonderful kitty, a loverly house and NO CANCER. Seriously, in the last week I have just seen way too many patients who ignored shit for too freaking long. Guys in their twenties who have huge tumors, women in their forties who ignored the sudden appearance of an inverted nipple and a large lump under the clavicle. Sigh.

On a brighter note, I did get to hang out with a patient who was so doped up on Lortab that he looked like a drunk frat boy. And another one of our patients brought us all doughnuts. Yummy. =) AND The ice cream cart came around on Friday...which was hilarious - everyone perked up (nurses, patients, respiratory therapists...) and helped themselves to free popsicles, snickers ice cream bars and more. It was a much needed break on our floor. 

Did I mention that next week I am working three nights in a row? Like 7pm to 7am. HA. HAHAHAHA. Part of my 9-week orientation. We shall see how THAT goes.

I'll leave you with a picture i took one morning I took before work. I have seen way too many dawns already. Meh.


No comments: