Thursday, January 21, 2010

Rain, Rain, Go Away

Before I start, a brief whine: I don't WANNA start studying for my test! ::pout:: It's rainy and cold and gross and I want to curl up in a ball and start a new book. One that does NOT involve hearts or trach care or reading EKGs or starting IVs. Sigh.

On that note, several people have asked what books I've read so far in 2010. Here they are with a wee review:
1. People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks - FABULOUS book that traces the very intricate history of a very old book. Told through several points of view and time periods. I really liked how the story jumped around as it told the book's history (M did NOT enjoy that about the book).
2. Maus I - Great graphic novel by Art Spiegelman. If you haven't read a graphic novel before, PLEASE go to the library and check this one out. It's the story of the author's father during the holocaust. The Jews are mice and the Germans cats - nice.
3. Maus II - YES I'm counting Maus I and II as separate books, but it's MY personal book list so I don't care. I liked Maus I WAY better than Maus II. I feel like the author kind of lost his way and didn't know how to bring closure to the story. Which, if you think about it, makes sense - because how do you find closure with the Holocaust?
4. Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert - I really, really, really loved this book. I didn't think I would ... but the idea of traveling around the world to find yourself (through gelato, prayer and love) was too tempting for me to ignore, and I'm glad I didn't. GREAT ideas in there about spirituality and finding your path to God.
5. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - I try and read the award-winning young adult fiction, and this one didn't disappoint. However, it's the first of a triliogy (I think), which is always severely annoying. I liked the first one (loved the main character's voice), but I'm not sure I want to read the second one. The third one looks good though...
6. A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin - A solid fantasy novel in the vein of Pillars of the Earth and a bit of Lord of The Rings. This book was given to me as a birthday present by our friend who has the whole series. YES, once again, the first of FOUR books, so we'll finish those off when I have more time (each book is 800+ pages!!).

So yesh. I guess I'll pull out my notes and start typing. Sigh. Community Health, here I come!

1 comment:

SB said...

Yes! Populating my to-read list now, D! I got "People of the Book" as a Christmas gift and am glad you endorse it. Have also been waffling on "Eat, Pray, Love". Thanks for being my internet book club :)