Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Perspective

All things considered, today was a pretty normal Tuesday. I woke up feeling tired, since M and I stayed up watching The Hills last night (I hate hate HATE that show but M wanted to watch it. Don't ask.). I quickly showered and did nothing with my hair, which resulted in a very bad hair day. I couldn't find anything I wanted to wear and I ended up getting to work late. Again.

Work was S-L-O-W and I was bored for most of the day. Thankfully, my coworkers are hilarious and entertained me during lunch...and then some coworkers and I got coffee during the afternoon. So that was fun. However, Tuesdays mean Anatomy class - which usually isn't so bad, but I just wasn't feeling it tonight.

I get to class and we get our last test back - 109 out of 109. This cheers me up significantly, but I'm still feeling grumpy. I tell the girl who sits next to me that I'm tired, and she says, "Oh, I know - I'm going on 48 right now..." I have to clarify...because
surely she doesn't mean 48 hours without sleep. Right? Well, it turns out that is exactly what she means. With two jobs, four classes and a two-year-old, she's beyond burning the candle at both ends.

Suddenly I feel sheepish. I've been whining all day (to myself, but still) about getting up, bad hair, going to class, having to study, etc. - and she hasn't SLEPT in two days. Later on in class we're talking about her classes and she asks if I'm only taking this class. When I respond with a "yes," she goes on to say "well it's no wonder you get A's!" Once again, the sheepishness. I've been really proud of my high grades in this class, but it's true - I'm working full-time, but this is my only commitment. I don't have a child or a million things going on in my life. I'm worried about money and class and getting into nursing school - but I'm so LUCKY. I have an amazing husband, a great work environment, a pretty kitty and loving family. I'm healthy and we are on track to get out of debt.

Sometimes, you need perspective to smack you in the face so you can just chill and be grateful.

So that's what I'm doing tonight.

2 comments:

Leeann said...

Hi there!

Thanks for visiting my blog :) I just started reading Midnight's Children and you're right, it is really difficult with all the references to India's history. It's all good though, I feel like I'm learning something from reading the book.

Congrats on acing your test! and good luck with the rest of your classes. The university I attended has a large nursing school and a lot of my sorority sisters are now RN's. I totally admire what they do :)

-Saving My Bacon

Anonymous said...

Hello D!
It's so easy to lose the perspective of things when you are only looking at your life and not others. I had a bad day at work a couple of weeks ago and B told me to be thankful you have a job, an apt, a family, and the list goes on. It is very refreshing to hear all of the things you should be thankful for..it begins to cancel out all the negative. I like this quote....
"No matter how you feel, get up, dress up, and show up."

Keep your head up! Good job on the test.

-S