Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Library Can't Buy Books?

Sooo the awesome Mecklenburg County budget crisis has gotten so bad that the libraries can't stay open and can't buy books. Fan-freaking-tastic.

Read the press release here: 18 Local Bookstores Band Together to Help Charlotte Mecklenburg Public Libraries

It's great that these bookstores are trying to help out, but it just makes me SICK that the budget crisis is coming to this. What happens when the libraries can't buy books for their patrons?? I want to DO SOMETHING. I wish I had a bajillion dollars so I could single-handedly save the whole system. Maybe I should talk to Travis McCoy...he could include it in his next song.

Only four years ago, the Charlotte Mecklenburg Public Library was one of three libraries honored by the Institute of Museum and Library Services for it's extrodinary public service. Now it's slashing jobs and can't afford books.

Bullshit.

No comments: